Monday 18 August 2008

The right result

Jonas Warrer and Martin Ibsen (DEN) have been crowned 49er champions following a controversial medal race in which anyone watching from home would have thought they were sailing for Croatia. There were the obligatory protests as a result (I probably would have done the same) but in the end the results were allowed to stand. Despite the various rules and regulations (which, I admit, I am not familiar with) the Jury made the correct result. At a time when the on-shore wranglings seem to distract our attention from what is important (AC is a good example) it's nice to see sportsmanship prevail. Yesterday's race must have been challenging for the whole fleet, with a lot more than just gear being broken, but the Danish team proved that they had the physical and mental ability to be champions. Congrats.

Over in the Laser Paul G has extended his lead to the point where he is almost guaranteed a medal. In fact, by my calculations he only has to turn up and keep his nose clean and he will win the gold. And I could not be happier for him: he has been at the top of this class for years but has always remained without a World or Olympic title. Good for him.

It will be a 4-way battle for Silver and Bronze then..I know who I'm rooting for.

No comments: