Thursday 31 July 2008

Update from Qingdao - July 31

Greg and Peter are settling into Qingdao

Dear All:


Who said that there is no wind in Qingdao? It was blowing between 15 to 20 knots today and the waves were large. We are being affected by a typhoon that increased the winds overnight and they stayed with us all day. We got together with our coach, Luis Chiapparro, this morning. Along with Alejandro, the URU Laser sailor, they went in the URU vehicle to a nearby marina to get the coach boat. Luis and Alejendro brought the RIB back to the Olympic Village. They had to insist that they could bring the boat because the locals were saying that the waves were too big to go out. The local assistant crawled along the floating dock which was being tossed around by the wave action. The sailors thought that it was all very funny.

Greg also got his first experience of how they drive here. He did not come with me for my two trips in Qingdao earlier in the week. In China, pedestrians have no rights. In fact, it is open season on pedestrians, cyclist and other vehicles. The driver of the vehicle bringing Greg and the assistant back to the village hit a pedestrian! There was no serious injury, the driver just made sure that the pedestrian was alive and then drove away. I had noticed on my trips that my driver would drive through a marked pedestrian crossing with people walking. Pedestrians would jump out of the way.

During one of the team meetings with the organizers, some of the teams had complained that they were not allowed to take their bicycles through the security gate into the city. The organizers stated during the meeting that the policy was for our safety and now I better understand. Luis and Alejandro were here last month to train and bought two bikes for use in the Village. Many teams have bikes. Obviously it is only safe in the Village.I must say that the driving here is more aggressive and out of control than anywhere I have been. It is like the wild west; no rules apply.


Anyway, our plan was for the sailors to go out and sail this afternoon. Luis and the sailors had the benefit of talking to the chief measurer and discovered some critical information. If you damaged equipment during practice, no substitutions were allowed. A sailor bent his mast in the wind yesterday and tries to get a replacement which was denied. So, Luis and our sailors, along with most Laser sailors, decided that they would stay ashore to eliminate the risk. We are one of the few classes where the equipment was supplied. The other classes supplier their own equipment and so they can repair/replace damaged items.

The sailors who went out had a ball. The 470s were flying. Robert Sheidt went out in his Star. Our Laser parking spot is next to Brazil. So Greg gets to see his hero regularly and Luis gets to hang out with the attractive Brazilian female sailors. Luis knows all the attractive women in sailing and so I stay close to Luis with the hope that I get to meet them.Luis spent the afternoon putting together a training schedule. Greg and Alejandro went to the gym. I dealt with admin stuff. The weather has stayed very overcast and rainy. Hopefully we will have better weather tomorrow.


We are starting to get information about going to the opening ceremony. They fly us to Beijing in the morning, the ceremony is in the evening and we return to Qingdao the next morning. More teams are arriving at the Village. I saw Spain’s big contingent arrive today. They travel with a lot of bags and equipment. Laser sailors must have it the easiest. We just travel with a tiller, tiller extension and a few sails. There is a massive parking area of containers for the other classes. These guys travel with 40 ft containers outfitted inside with racks, work benches and tools. They could rebuild their boats from what I saw. I am happy that Greg sails the Laser. I have told him that he cannot change boat as long as he stays on our family’s payroll.

The sailor is happy and so I am happy. I am still struggling with my sleep pattern but time will fix that. The meals are good which helps morale when we cannot get on the water. The gym facilities are actually not very big for the number of athletes here. I could not get to all the equipment I wanted to use this morning. A female Australian had the free weights all captured this morning. She was very intense, recording what she did. I did not dare get in her way! My plan for tomorrow morning is to go on the treadmills outside the gym before 6:00 am when the gym opens and then at 6 go straight to the weights before she gets there.

That’s all for today. I have to go check on a fax from my chef de mission in Beijing. I need this document to complete Greg’s registration tomorrow.


Regards to all

Peter Douglas

No comments: