Friday 25 July 2008

Classic Action

I finally got down to the beach today (thank goodness for "working from home"!) to check out the action in the Solent. I knew that the Classic Yacht Club Regatta was on and didn't want to pass up a chance to see these graceful boats in action. The weather has been amazing this week and has provided the perfect environment for photography, as you can see from this picture. Although I prefer carbon fibre and kevlar, I can't help but appreciate the beauty of classic yachts, not to mention give respect to the crews that operate them with minimal modern conveniences (such as winches!). In 2005 I was in Antigua just after classic week and I stood on the dock in English Harbour drooling over the polished teak and shining brass of Ranger and the like. I did not have the greatest view from my vantage point at Hill Head but the Solent was awash with white sails and coloured spinnakers. Closer to the shore the windsurfers and kite surfers were also entertaining.

The Solent is set to get busier than ever over the next week, in the lead up to Cowes Week next weekend. The hordes of boats practising this week will include a fleet of Extreme 40s, with the AC boys in attendance. I am not racing, and if I get to see only a bit of the action, I hope it is these spectacular machines.

No comments: